Saturday, March 9, 2013

Peppers!

Today I started some pepper plants!
I want them to get nice and big before taking them outside, so I started them a little earlier than I normally would.  I am doing a trial between two different seed starting kits that Gardener's Supply offers.  So, I decided to start three seeds in each cell.  I planted three cells of each kind of pepper in each of the two different types of kit.  So, that will give me six plants when all is said and done.
So, first I got both the kits out and made a plan.


Next, I carefully read the directions for each kit.  I'm sometimes not very good at reading directions.  I set out each kit.



The most time consuming part was filling the cells with the planting medium.  The top kit came with coconut coir, which I find pretty hard to work with.  It takes time to let it soak in a bucket of water.... and I'm not very patient.  The bottom kit comes with a germinating soil mix.  I thought it was way easier to work with.  But, I used more of it.
I finally got everything planted.  Both kits feature capillary mats that water from the bottom.  The bottom kit also has a water gauge, but I found it hard to get to sit upright.  If it's lying down, it's not going to be very useful.  I popped the tops on, and put them in the grow stand.  The package says that germination time is 14 days.  I got the seeds from Seed Savers Exchange.  Now it's the waiting game.


No comments:

Post a Comment