Sunday, March 3, 2013

My wonderful gift!

My husband is amazing. Yesterday, we had a free Saturday.  No hockey, no school commitments, no place that we had to be.  I used yesterday as my blow-off day.  The finished reading the book was was almost done with, and started another.  I played SIMS on the computer.  I didn't change out of my fuzzy polarfleece pants.

Tim, on the other hand, saved his blow-off day for today (Sunday).  He worked hard yesterday; measuring, cutting, shopping at Menards, and making me another grow stand to start my seeds.  I will now have room to start 25 flats, and the plants will have PLENTY of headroom when they get larger.  Last year, I had room to start 17 flats.
I ordered seeds yesterday, too.  I have a friend that loves to cook, and she loves hot peppers.  I sent her an e-mail to find out what kinds of peppers she would like for me to start.  She is pretty much the only person I know that likes hot peppers (besides my dad) so I basically grow hot peppers just for her.  Why not give her  the choice of which hotties I grow? I was hoping she would have an opinion, and not just tell me "whatever is fine...."
Thankfully, she had an opinion.  Ten years ago, she had gotten plants at the farmer's market.  She loved them, but had never found them again...
  • Bulgarian Carrot Peppers
  • Black Hungarian Peppers
  • Fish Peppers
Wouldn't you know, I found seeds for ALL of them at SeedSavers.org.  I ordered them all, and the shipping was only $1.90!  I could have probably asked my friend, who lives in Decorah, to pick them up for me.  But, for $1.90 shipping, it's hardly worth her trouble.  Apparently, all of those types of peppers are heirloom varieties, which makes me super excited to grow them.  For more on heirloom seeds/plants, please check out the link to Seed Savers Exchange.




No comments:

Post a Comment