Saturday, May 11, 2013

Baby, It's COLD Outside

But, my seedlings don't seem to care much.  They are happily growing big and strong under lights in my dining room.  Though the forecast calls for snow, the plants are oblivious to the weather outside.  Too bad I can't get out there to plant my onions, broccoli and cabbage.  I have a hoop house AND a cold frame that I can be using, but I have no energy available for going out and trying to garden in the snow.
My husband's family does "Secret Santa" all year round.  For Easter, my "Santa" gave me some seeds.  I think it was that same day that I had the cucumber seeds already planted in a flat.  I used a layer of MiracleGro SeedStarting Potting Mix on the bottom.  I soaked it down well.  I placed the seeds in the flat, and then covered with a layer of Perlite.  It seriously took only three days for those guys to germinate, and within six days they had their "real" leaves.  Last weekend I took some time to repot them, so they can have more room for decent root development.




No comments:

Post a Comment