Saturday, May 7, 2011

Finally! Spring!

High of 63F and a chance of rain.  It's beautiful outside, so I took advantage of the nice weather to walk around, take some pictures, and make some plans.  The bluebirds are finding the new houses we built for them.

So, my first project was starting to take out an old, dying bush from the area near the front door.  I hate this area.  The lava rock that was put there is failing, the landscaping fabric is failing, and it looks awful.  I'm toying with some different ideas.  Possibly a mini-prairie kind of thing with prairie inspired perennials?  I don't think we'll be able to come up with the money to redo all the rock this year.  Any ideas?  The person that comes up with a great idea I can't refuse will get a prize from me!

The spinach has started peeking through the dirt in my cold frames.  One of the two has more sprouted, so it must have been the faster germinating of the two variations that I planted.  There was a ton of nature outside today.  The animals must feel the same itch to get outside when it's nice out.  I glanced out the window and there was a beautiful male oriole sitting on the tomato cages that we use to protect our little saplings from my maniac mowing mother.  On the neighboring cage sat a male bluebird.  A lot of color in just a few feet.  By the time I got new batteries in my camera, the bluebird was gone and the oriole had moved to the tree.  But, before I went back in the house in complete defeat, a beautiful doe looked both ways and crossed the highway.  Can't wait to see all the things I can get accomplished this beautiful afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous Daffodils!
    Also, I loved when Plover planted all prairie grass on their medians, but I know a TON of people complained about the weeds and unkempt look - they just didn't get it. But then I did the praire/wild flower thing in a spot in our old yard, and it totally just looked like a bunch of weeds for the majority of the summer, with some nice flowers here and there. I felt I had to work really hard at a look that was supposed to be less work! :) Good luck - I'm sure you'll come up with some fantastic!

    ReplyDelete