Sunday, May 15, 2011

Planting Day

We got a bit of a late start, but we had work to do!  I had sweet corn that needed to get in the ground, even if the weather wasn't the best for planting sweet corn.  We also got the snap peas planted.  We have many rows of corn (I lost count).  It takes up about a fourth of the garden, but it's the thing that Alex is most excited about.  He's even going to help me weed!  I've planted two kinds of snap peas, and plan on planting them every two weeks for a couple of months.
Tomorrow, we're going for the radishes after school is finished.  Most exciting, to me, was that we actually used some of the things that we've been growing!  First up, the rhubarb that got huge in the last week.  It was so big this weekend that I had to pick some and make some "stuff."  Tim is a very talented Rhubarb Crisp baker.  He has a batch in the oven as we speak, and it's smelling wonderful.  I also have rhubarb cut up and ready to make into Rhubarb Ice Cream Sauce.  Last year I made a really good rhubarb juice, but I can't find the recipe.  I think I got it online, so that's a task for me to figure out in the next week.

Can't wait to eat some Rhubarb Crisp tonight!  Maybe with some ice cream :)  As my reward for four hours of planting and asparagus harvesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment