Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Attack of the Seedlings!

Wow.  My husband and his dad deserve a huge pat on the back.  The grow stand has been a huge success, and my flats are loving the new artificial light.  They worked for an entire DAY designing and making a stand for my little seedlings.  I think that this option is even better than a greenhouse, as I won't have to worry about overheating, wind, or venting.  I have the greatest husband and father-in-law!

The dining room just did not give us enough light and my seedlings were very.... lame.  This year, I have stocky little seedlings that look like they are ready to be planted, TODAY!  I'm not giving in to the urge for two reasons:
1) We don't have the tiller back from the shop
2) It's Wisconsin.  We know what happens when we try to plant at Mother's Day.  Dead cucumbers.

I'm thinking about taking some of my extra plants (I have a TON of tomatoes) and getting them in the ground this weekend.  That's right; rain or shine.  If they freeze and die, so be it.  I'm not really out anything.  If they make it, AWESOME!  I'm ahead of the game :)  I'm also hoping to get my sweet corn in the ground.  This is a new project for us.  I sure hope that Tim isn't kidding when he offered the dig the garden (again) by hand.  It might need to be done.  We also bought the concrete so we can finish up our grapevine supports.  It just means we'll have another busy weekend!

I still have to find a place to plant my beautiful blueberry bushes.  The pressure is on.  It needs to get done this weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment