Thursday, July 12, 2012

Basil Harvest

Lots of great things have been growing in the garden lately!  Even though I got my planting done really late, things are starting to reward me.  
My basil has been growing like crazy.  It likes the warm weather and the watering that it gets on the deck.  Yesterday, I was able to pick a whole bunch of basil and dehydrate it.  I can't wait to use it during the winter months.


fresh basil in a shrimp marinade

I also wanted to share a picture of my Dollar Tree pepper planter.  I was able to put two plants into each hole, for a total of 14 plants.  I had to buy a hanger (also at the Dollar Tree) to provide for a sunny location on my deck.  So, the cost of my planter is:
$1 for the planter
$1 for the hanger
$1 for potting soil to put in planter
$1.29 for Jalapeno seeds
$3 for electricity to start seeds
Total cost: $7.29
We'll see how many Jalapeno peppers I get out of this one planter.  


Lastly, I thought I'd share the recipe I got off All Recipes.com for the marinated shrimp.  I use the All Recipes app on my iTouch.  Alex did not care for this recipe, but the remaining three members of our family LOVED it.  Alex could taste the cayenne in the recipe, but I certainly would not leave it out!  The shrimp would have been very blah without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment